Good evening all,
Today I am going to share with you one of my favourite recipes, it also happens to be an extremely simple one. Allow me to introduce to you my chicken noodle soup.
Like so many others, chicken noodle soup is my go to when I’m feeling a bit low and in need of a comforting, immune boosting bowl of goodness.
I always opt for miso instead of chicken stock but feel free to use whichever your prefer, I know that chicken stock has some amazing healing and immune boosting properties but I so rarely have it in my kitchen. (That said, I have been saving my bones for a while so I will have a fresh batch soon.)
I love miso for many reasons, it is extremely tasty, beneficial for gut health, a great antioxidant and source of iron, calcium and potassium. My absolute favourite miso is the white miso paste from Miso Tasty, I find that it has the deepest flavour and you don’t need as much. It also comes in a larger jar than most supermarket own brands and is very reasonably priced. It is important that the miso never boils as this will kill the probiotics and goodness.
This recipe is full of vegetables so is perfect when you’re craving healthy comfort food. I use grilled chicken thigh for the most part but it’s your party so choose your favourite cut.
Serves 1 large portion or 2 small portions
You will need:
- Cooked chicken (I use one grilled thigh)
- Noodles (I use one packet of quick cook medium noodles but a nest is just as good. I tend to avoid udon)
- 1 garlic clove
- Half a red chilli
- 1 inch ginger
- 3 spring onions
- Coriander (as much as you desire)
- Spiralised courgette*
- Bean sprouts*
- Handful of peas
- Handful of sweetcorn
- 1 teaspoon of white miso paste
- 400ml hot water
- Dash of fish sauce*
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
(* are optional. Beansprouts add a lovely crunch, courgettes can be used to bulk out the meal or in lieu of noodles and the fish sauce adds some more depth but isn’t essential for a delicious bowl)
How to make:
- Finely slice, spring onions, garlic, chilli, coriander and ginger (to make this easier I grate frozen ginger)
- Spiralize courgette if using
- In a measuring jug mix a teaspoon of miso, a little ginger and 400ml hot water
- In your wok/pan heat a tablespoon on sesame oil and add garlic, ginger, chili, spring onions and half of the coriander on a low heat
- When fragrant add a dash of soy sauce, courgette and beansprouts (if using)
- Add chicken and combine with other ingredients
- When courgette has softened slightly, add noodles and stir for one minute
- Add miso and raise heat slightly
- Add peas and sweetcorn to water and stir until noodles are soft
- Serve with a small drizzle of sesame oil and the remaining coriander.
Enjoy people! If you make it, let me know in the comments or over on Instagram, I’d love to know your thoughts.