Happy Monday guys.
As it has been previously established, I really like pasta. It’s just a bit of me. On this fine day I am going to share with you this simple, easy dish which happens to coincide with meat free Monday.
Pasta is a delicious vehicle for getting in lots of vegetables and binding flavours together for a glorious meal. This dish was inspired by the food that I had in my fridge including some homemade pesto and some delicious goats cheese I picked up at the weekend.
Pesto and goats cheese are already a great pairing but by adding the vegetables and lemon the ingredients came together really well for a light, green dinner that is perfect for this time of year.
You will need:
- 1 Courgette
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of pesto (store bought/homemade/any variety you choose)
- 2/3 tablespoons of pitted black olives
- Handful of spinach or rocket
- Zest of a quarter lemon (and juice)
- Chilli flakes
- Salt & pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic
How to make:
- Prepare ingredients, slice or spiralise courgette, half olives, finely slice garlic
- If making your own pesto, do this now. I used this recipe and substituted the pistachios for pine nuts
- Bring pan of water to the boil and salt liberally, cook pasta according to packet instructions (I love fusilli and bucatini for this recipe)
- Add oil to a warm frying pan, add courgette, season with salt, pepper and chilli flakes and cook on a medium heat for 4 minutes until they start to turn translucent
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, then add olives and the zest of a quarter of a lemon for 2 minutes
- Add 2 tablespoons of pesto, lemon juice and rocket/spinach. Turn off heat and combine all ingredients together, season if appropriate
- Three minutes before the pasta is cooked add frozen peas to the saucepan
- Add cubes of goats cheese and spinach/rocket to allow them to soften
- Once pasta and peas are cooked, drain and add to frying pan on a low heat to ensure that all of the pasta is doused in cheesy pesto-vegetable goodness
- Serve and ENJOY!
This dish is also good served cold so if great for a leftover packed lunch. I made this to serve two but you can reduce the pasta/courgette/pesto to make a single portion.
I would to hear how this recipe goes for you so hit me up in the comments or on Instagram with the results!
Have a lovely week!